Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School....and other updates

OK,OK,OK I know I haven't been updating. But here's what has been going on so far. I'll start from the present and move backwards. Today was the first day of school. She has been placed in the 3rd grade at Sippel Elementary in Schertz. I was so nervous all day, but her teacher called me right after school and said everything went great. She did very well following directions and understood what she was being told for the most part. Yeah!
At home, Tracy is fitting in as if she has been here for years. It seems she accepts me as her mommy way more than I ever imagined she would in 10 years let alone in 6 weeks. The honeymoon between her and her brothers is over and its just a normal sibling relationship. Tracy gets very possessive of 'her' things and doesn't like to share but I know that will come with time (I hope). I try not to make to big of a deal right now because I think it's another 'step' we are going through. I just remind her that when she is playing with some else's toys, that it is theirs and they are SHARING it with you. She will catch on soon enough. She is so, so smart.
We went to Austin last weekend and met with Jim, Kathleen & her buddy James from our Nanjing travel group. She was so excited to see him and he seemed just as happy. They are doing well.
Tracy continues to exceed all of our expectations and is such a normal little 9 year old. I'm not sure what I was expecting but she is better than I ever could have wished for. The feelings I had for her today (being nervous while she was gone all day at school-alone) again made me realize that I was her mommy and she was my baby. Come to think of it, today was the first time she has been away from me for any length of time. No wonder I was so out of sorts.
I'm going to post a bunch of pictures and I'm trying to download a video onto you-tube from this morning.

sister & brothers playing with dolls

Tracy and James in Austin

making silly faces

First day of school

Tracy and Laylah going to school

3 comments:

sue williams said...

What a wonderful post, so glad to hear that Tracy did well with her first day. What a tremendous step for each of you. Such strides in just 6 weeks. I bet she becomes a star pupil! Glad to hear too, that the kids are just blending so well. Keep on posting when you can, it is good to hear from you,

sue arlie and jia.

Lisa Arduini said...

I am so glad things are going well. It always amazes be what each new day brings. I wish you all well and hope to see you again!!

Cammie said...

So glad to hear from you!

What a wonderful update!