Monday, July 21, 2008

Settling in at home

Sorry I haven't updated since I've been home. I got pretty sick the day after being home and jet-lag is a very,very mean and yucky thing. I don't know how you guys that bring home little babies do it. Tracy has settled into our house like she has lived here forever. She went right to bed in her own room and sleeps very sound at night. She usually sleeps about 10-11 hours a night. She also does good with her eating. She has fit right into eating like an American. Junk food is for breakfast right?!
She is learning English at an incredible rate. There is almost no language barrier between us now. Between the words she does know and here panta-miming, She gets her point across.
As for her bonding process, she immediately attached to her oldest brother and she tolerates her youngest brother. I tell him not to feel bad, that he and I are in the same boat. As for me, she is doing so much better. She still prefers Scott to me, but she has made giant leaps toward me (especially if I take her swimming). Just starting yesterday she has started coming out of her shell with people outside of the immediate 4 of us. I'm hoping this is the beginning of her being able to socialize with people. I think it's frustrating when she is so shy, then I have to stop myself and remind myself that we've only been home 6 days, give her some time. Now we've been home 11 days and she is doing things we were told may take months to accomplish.
We took her to the pediatrician today and the Dr. was very impressed how well she did. She is 52.5 inches tall and weighs 49.3 lbs. She did get 4 shots and has to go back in 2 weeks to get 1 more. She cried just a little, but once they were done, she stopped crying. We got a referral to see a cardiologist but that won't be until Mid-September, since there doesn't seem to be any urgent need. We are supposed to take her to an Infectious disease Dr. also (since she has no spleen) but believe it or not, they don't have a pediatric ID Dr. in San Antonio (that is covered by our insurance). So we are working on that. But overall, the Dr. today was very impressed by her health and development.
I will add some pictures from our last days in China and since we've been home. I will try to update a least once a week, sometimes more. Please keep checking back.

Three generation beauties

Red couch photo

Tracy & Faith(Peggy & Bob Heller's daughter)

layover in Detroit

Tracy's first look at her new room

nothing like bonding over McDonalds

Move over Tim Duncan

playing with her buddy, Zhong Fa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great seeing you yesterday...

Traci

sue williams said...

Kortnie

How exciting to see your update. I have been checking regularly, and have to say, you got an update from home done faster than I did! I am so glad to see such postive news too. Things should just keep getting better and better. You have been down a rocky road, time to hit the pavement and enjoy the ride!
sue, arlie and jia

FHL said...

Your family is beautiful and I'm so glad that Tracy is settling in and so swiftly!