Saturday, July 5, 2008

We are in Guangzhou

Well, today was a bittersweet day. We left Nanjing, the city our daughter was born, raised and probably never has left city limits before, but boy was I ready to leave. That was the consensus of most of the families too. We were not too happy with that hotel or its location. Tracy did well on the flight. I could tell she was scared because she has never been on an airplane before and we couldn't explain what was going on. We have had a real rough day. I think after the very busy morning we had and we were hot, tired and hungry, Tracy had a major temper tantrum in the middle of the street on the way to Lucy's restaurant. We decided that Scott was going to go ahead to Lucy's and Tracy and I came back to the hotel room. I was going to wait for her to stop fuming for a few minutes and then I would make her some noodles. But before I knew it, she fell asleep. I waited for Scott to come back, and I went and took a walk to let him get her up and feed her. I knew the mood would be calmer if I wasn't around. Even though we took a few steps backwards, I didn't let it get me down like before. I'm not sure if it was because I was expecting it or because I think I was more mad today than hurt. Of course now I feel guilty because thinking about all we put her through today and giving her situation, I don't blame her for throwing a tantrum. I probably would have done the same thing given her situation. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day and I am hoping will be better.
So far, I really like it here in Guangzhou. It's nicer, prettier, and I can't wait to get shopping. And of course being here means we are that much closer to getting home. I would love to stay longer but everyone says that things will get better between Tracy and I after we get home and I would really like to start bonding with my daughter. Also, I miss the heck out of my boys (even thought they don't write me like they said they would-hint, hint) I can't wait to come home and get some snuggles from some of my kids. I love you two and miss you very much. I'll check back with ya'll real soon.

3 comments:

sue williams said...

Hello to you in Guangzhou! Those travel days ARE hard, but you should have a few days now to rest and shop and see some sights if you want to, or just hang out at the pool or wander around on the island. Lots more food choices than Nanjing, and much more pedestrian opportunities. If you are up to it, don't miss the medicine market across the street from the island, you can get there over the pedestrian bridge. The river cruise is also very relaxing and a good way to see the new buildings. They all light up in the evenings, so pretty.

I hope things go well with Tracey in GZ so you can enjoy yourselves. I don't know if you have access there, but recently the AOK-china-2 yahoo group has been posting about adopting older kids who have been in long term foster care. Might be some information there if you can log on. Upshot, it will work out!

Take care,
sue

Anonymous said...

Hi mom we have ben reading ur blog and we miss u very much. Hope to see u soon and hope u will call me soon. We got to see the fireworks and they where awesone. And i had a funnelcake.

Anonymous said...

Kortnie sounds like are going alone and you understand this has to be scary for Tracy. How are Mom and Dad making out we haven't heard much from them , and what Tracy thinks of them? Uncle Craig