Saturday, June 28, 2008

We are in Nanjing

www.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.ws



It's Sunday morning and we just arrived in Nanjing. This is a very different city than Beijing. Things are much older here. I haven't seen too much yet so I'll update later. The sun is almost visible thru all the smog which is more than I can say for Beijing.
I have been breaking all sorts of 'golden rules'. I brush my teeth with tap water, rinse my mouth out in the shower, and I'm eating a Caesar salad from room service (raw veggies). So far, (knock on wood) I've been feeling real good. I have not been able to tell a difference breathing the air here in China. It certainly looks different but doesn't feel different.
I know it's still early in the trip and things may be different tomorrow but everything so far has been easy-cheesy. The food has been delicious, the traffic is not bad at all, no-one has gotten the least bit sick (knock on wood again), the weather has been absolutely beautiful (temp/humidity), and the air hasn't bothered anyone.
We have been having fun on the tours. When we went to Tiananmen Square, a bunch of young Chinese girls crowded Scott and wanted their picture taken with him. They were feeling his beard and giggling. The same happened to both him and my dad at the Great Wall. I wonder how Tracy will react to "the hairy men".
We are starting to get excited. We will be meeting Tracy for the first time in about 22 hours. That's less than 1 full day. We are trying to write down a list of questions we want to ask the orphanage director. We are going to go to the bank at about 3 today to exchange all our money. (Yes, we pay all orphanage donations/legal fees in Yuan except for $400 USD visa fee). Then we will go to the supermarket and eat at a BBQ (this should be interesting). I don't think I should expect Rudy's.
Well, I think I better review my chinese vocabulary book and maybe take a little nap. I was wide awake at 2:45am this morning. I will check in soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a single gal that is getting her 7 yo tomorrow too.. She is with our agency.. Wonder if she will be in your group..Looking forward to seeing your posts that you have Tracy...

Traci

Anonymous said...

hi kortnie! it's courtney from GW list! glad things are going great for you, can't wait to read more!!! and hear all about tracy tomorrow.

sue williams said...

Hi Kortnie and family,

It is so great to see you enjoying your trip and anticipating your daughter. How delightful that you are having so much fun and are getting excited to meet Tracy for the first time. I can hardly wait myself and look forward to that first post about her, send lots of pictures!

I know the BBQ you are going to, no it's NOT Rudy's, will love to hear your take on it. Keep having fun, get some rest, and I knocked on wood for you twice, you are alot more brave than I was with the water and veggies!

Love,
Sue Arlie and Jia

Keira&Kristi'sMommy said...

I am soooo excited for you! I am enjoying your blog so much. Robin for Nanjing Kids